Web Components for Mathematics
THE Web Components for Mathematics project is an extension of and enhancement to the "Java Components For Mathematics" project. WCM and JCM represent efforts to develop a framework of configurable mathematical software components written in the Java programming language. The Java components are meant to be used on instructional Web pages as interactive illustrations, special-purpose calculators, support for exercises, and so forth. You can find out more about JCM by visiting the JCM website. WCM takes the original version 1.0 JCM code and makes several enhancements: 1) shifts from AWT to Swing; 2) adds support for JavaBeans; and 3) adds feature and functional enhancements.
On this page, you will find links to source code, documentation, programming information, and sample applets, including a set of configurable applets that can be extensively customized without programming, using only applet params. There are also links for downloading the applets and source code. This WCM documentation has been adapted from the original JCM documentation.
All software developed for this project can be used in unmodified form for any purpose, including commercial uses, without charge. The Java classes that are part of the project can be freely used in other software. Modified versions of the classes can be created and distributed subject to some restrictions, which are stated in the source code files.This version of WCM is considered beta quality, as it has not yet had as much testing as we'd like. Bug reports can be made through the SourceForge bug reporting system, accessible from the WCM SourceForge page.
You can find a summary of the changes to the various WCM releases here.
One of the products of the JCM project which is carried over to WCM is a set of configurable applets that can be used with no programming. These applets are configured using applet params. (There is also a separate set of basic applets that illustrate programming techniques.) The configurable applets cover a range of mostly calculus and pre-calculus topics including: graphs of functions, families of functions, composition of functions, tangent lines, parametric curves, and Riemann sums. To use these applets on your own pages, you will need the latest .jar file for WCM, which can be downloaded from the WCM SourceForge page. To see the applets and documentation on how to use them, follow this link:
Calculus AppletsThe calculus applets are a separate set of applets created for http://www.calculusapplets.com, a website that supports teaching and learning single variable calculus. To use these applets on your own pages, you will need the latest .jar files for both WCM and the calculus applets, both of which can be downloaded from the WCM SourceForge page. To see the applets and documentation on how to use them, follow this link:
The WCM (Web Components for Mathematics) system is defined in the Java package net.sourceforge.webcompmath, which has six sub-packages: applets, awt, beans, data, draw, and functions. These packages, in turn, contain the source code files. The components defined in this system can be assembled into useful applets with relatively little programming. The following documentation is available:
- Programming Information -- discusses the major Java classes in the system and explains how to use them.
- Basic Applets -- a series of sample applets with well-commented source code, meant partly as a WCM programming tutorial.
- Javadoc Documentation -- full API documentation in javadoc format, generated from the source code.
- Source Code -- browse the source code for the WCM classes and configurable applets directly.
You can download WCM source code, libraries, and javadoc from the WCM SourceForge page. Click on the download link, then on the download button for the latest webcompmath release.
- Download the WCM JAR library:
- webcompmath-XXXX.jar -- WCM JAR file which includes the configurable applets. You will need this if you plan to deploy WCM applets on your web pages.
- Download the WCM source code, including the sources for the configurable applets:
- webcompmathsrc-XXXX.jar -- source code in a JAR archive. You need this only if you plan to extend/enhance WCM, or if you want to read the code for a better understanding of how it works.
- Download the WCM javadoc:
- webcompmathdoc-XXXX.zip -- zip file with the javadoc. This is useful for WCM users and developers alike.
- Download the calculus applets JAR library:
- calculus-XXXX.jar -- JAR file which includes the calculus applets. You will need this if you plan to deploy calculus applets on your web pages. You also need the webcompmath JAR file.
- Download the calculus applets source code.:
- calculussrc-XXXX.jar -- source code in a JAR archive. You need this only if you plan to extend/enhance the calculus applets, or if you want to read the code for a better understanding of how they work.
- Download the calculus applets web site:
- calculuswebsite-XXXX.zip -- zip file with the entire calculus applets web site. Includes both the webcompmath and calculus JAR files.